Thursday, April 26, 2012

Vintage Kenmore

For quite a few years I have been using my moms old Kenmore sewing machine cabinet as an end table in my living room. I love the color and the inlaid wood areas. There is an old sewing machine in there also. I learned to sew a little on it in the 50's and 60's. My mom only used it for mending and maybe a couple of items of clothing. I do remember her making me a rust colored corduroy doll coat with a big white collar for my Tiny Tears doll. Oh, how I wish I had that coat today.
My mom was very meticulous about details and recorded everything in the instruction booklet. In fountain pen ink, of course!
I threaded the machine (with help from the booklet) and was able to put the bobbin in the vertical bobbin holder and actually stitched a little. I remember there was always tension problems. It sounds really "rough" and I am sure could use some oil. The manual shows LOTS of areas to oil unlike our modern machines. I love the inlaid wood areas in front....that's why it's in an area that I can look at it all the time.


 

14 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Sandy I have a wonderful blog friend named Michelle at http://lifewithlou.blogspot.com/ who collects old machines and gives them new life just because she loves them. She is wonderful to ask for advice - I bet she could tell you how to get that machine sounding like new and maybe even tell you how to fix the tension problems. And she'd love to - she's that kind of person. blessings, marlene

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Wonderful heirloom! I can't see the new machine holding up for those many years!

Tudy said...

Very beautiful. And not made of plastic like the new ones. I bet it is very heavy too.

Jennifer said...

Oh, what a gorgeous machine and also a lovely piece of furniture. Those old mechanical machines went forever.....I bet it's take much tweaking to get it going again.

Stephanie said...

What a sweet little treasure.

Linda said...

Anyone can buy an antique sewing machine, but to have one of your Mom's in such great shape is a treasure! How Lucky you are!

Vintage Sandy said...

My mom had one like that also wish I had it now!!

Carrie P. said...

wow, what a neat little treasure you have. Love that your mom kept such great records.

Connie said...

What a neat sewing machine, I bet if you cleaned and oiled it, it would work great! I sew on a 1951 singer all the time!

Yüz Germe said...

i in accomplishment bookmark your acclimation and will accordance links to my accompany as we all are a abounding lovers of blogs and consistently accessible to apprehend arresting and advising blogs.
Yüz Germe

Kızlık zarı said...

Its very nice blog and great service.I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog,especially on this post. Keep up the good work.
Kızlık zarı

Stephanie said...

It's a beauty! My mom has her Singer machine and the seat and cabinet she got in the 50s and she has my grandmother's machine and cabinet as well.

Michelle said...

That's a gorgeous machine! I can't remember ever seeing one like it.

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a treasure to have Sandy! blessings, marlene